Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Cinnamon crumble apple muffin


Instead of giving your teacher (or kid’s teacher) an apple, give some crumbled apple muffins. There is a specific smell that comes along with fall cooking, its warm, comforting, a little spicy, and always a savory and sweet sense at the same time. These muffins start to fill your house with a wonderful smell the second you place them in the oven. We wanted to combine an apple pie, with an apple strudel, with a muffin, and we were left with this fabulous thing! So enjoy this recipe, make it for the family, the neighbors, anyone you like, because it is sure to bring a smile to everyone’s face.

*brown sugar is a huge part of this recipe, so pretty much just have a cup of it set aside.

Ingredients:

Muffin:
2 cups flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
½ cup butter (at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 ¼ tsp vanilla
1 ½ cup chopped apples (we prefer honey crisps, or pink ladies)

Crumbs:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 Tlb. flour
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tlb butter

Icing:
3 Tlb powdered sugar
2 Tlb milk (give or take)




Start by preheating your oven to 375,  while that heats, grease and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin papers, and fill each one with a spoonful of brown sugar to hold it down and to create a bit of crust by patting down with your finger. Set aside.  
Heat a sauce pan to medium high, and heat your apples and a few spoon fulls of brown sugar until slightly softened. Set aside.

To make the strudel bits on top; in small bowl, mix the 1/3 cup of brown sugar, 1 Tlb of flour, ¼ tsp of cinnamon, and 1 Tlb of butter. Beat together until it starts to create small balls of sand like looking things. This is where a lot of the tasty is!

Now to make the actual batter ;in a large bowl beat together butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. As best as you can take the apples out of the melted sugar and stir in (too much added sugar will cause muffins to be a bit doughy).

In a medium sized bowl mix together your dry mix: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.  Add your dry mix to your wet mix a bit at a time. The mix will seem pretty thick and dry, but when it bakes it will be the perfect consistency, and the apples will moisten the cake as well.

Now using a large spoon fill each muffin cup about ¾ of the way, and then sprinkle with your crumble mix you made in the beginning. Once all are loaded, place in oven, and set for 20 minutes (at the half way point turn the muffins around in the oven).

While the muffins are cooking, make the icing by pouring a little bit of milk at a time into your sugar, until you reach the consistency that you desire.

When muffins are done, remove from the oven, let cool for 10 minutes, and then drizzle icing on, and eat up! Damn they are good!!!

25 comments:

  1. They sound delicious. They look delicious. I'm sure we'll be making them a lot around our house. Thanks, a devoted fan of Food Nasty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Anonymous we over here at Food Nasty love you for it. Xx

      Delete
  2. These are in the oven right now! I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie is my (Francecsa) middle name! I would live for you to sen is a photo! Xxx can't wait for you to try them either, we are down to eating crumbs!

      Delete
  3. I made a dozen of these yesterday for my family of 4 and I woke up this morning and there were 4 left. "The best thing I've ever made" They're so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! If you make them again send photos! It is wild how addicting they are!

      Delete
  4. These muffins are so cute and sound amazingly yummy! I must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are as tasty as thy are cute! Can't wait for you to try!

      Delete
  5. what do you mean by " turn the muffins around in the oven" ? I'll just try o manage anyway .. they look amazing ;o) me and my sis can't wait to try them:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I should change it to is flip the tray, so the muffins in the back turn to the front so they cook evenly.
      Excited for you to try!

      Delete
  6. What exactly is a "Tlb" measurement? I have never seen that before! I was thinking it might be a tablespoon but I wanted to check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is... I have the worst shorthand and I have a habit of copying it when I type! I must get that fixed!

      Delete
    2. I have a habit of typing in my own shorthand too, makes it hard for anyone else to understand my notes! Thank you! Can't wait to try these!

      Delete
  7. make some more - now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW. Yes, please!

    I just pinned it & stumbled it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! That is awesome to hear!!!

      Thanks so much

      Delete
  9. I just made these and they are yummy! However, the brown sugar on the bottom of the muffin cup burned- not so yummy. It is easy to peel off, so no worries. I did test the muffins with a toothpick after 20 min and they were a little under done, so I left them in for 2 more minutes. Perhaps that was too much for the brown sugar bottoms. Next time I'll just take them out at 20 because a brown sugar crust sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I am glad it was easy to peel off. Since all ovens were not created equal, which is a big bummer, try decreasing the temp 10 degrees but cooking longer. Test every few minutes over 20 minutes!

      I will cross my fingers!

      Delete
  10. This recipe is absolutely delish! I made a couple changes tho, cuz I couldn't find my muffin pans....ugh. I used 2 loaf pans, so I had to increase the cooking time by 10 minutes. AND, I wanted to incorporate flax meal into it (my sad attempt to alleviate some guilt), so I used 2 tablespoons ground flax and 6 tablespoons water mixed together instead of the 2 eggs. Both loves turned out perfectly!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hearing when people make recipes their own!! It is a wonderful feeling as a lover of food!

      Delete
  11. These are delicious. I added some finely chopped walnuts to the crumbs. Yummm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tried this out tonight - the muffins are super tasty. We did find the recipe a bit hard to follow though, a more organized format would be helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the input! I updated the recipe because re-reading it two years later it is a bit confusing!

      We are glad they were tasty!
      xo

      Delete
  13. Have you ever thought about adding shredded carrot as well? I think I may try it right now :)

    ReplyDelete